This bibliography covers all scholarly publications on Makoto Shinkai and his works written in English that I am aware of.
(Last Updated: September 14, 2017)
- Ward, Sarah. Be careful what you wish for: Makoto Shinkai’s Your Name. Metro, 193, 44-49.
- Gradjian, Maria. The precarious self: Melancholia and the eradication of adolescence in Makoto Shinkai’s anime works. In Kristina Iwata-Weickgenannt & Roman Rosenbaum (Eds.), Visions of precarity in Japanese popular culture and literature (pp. 117-131). Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Duke, Shaun. The multiplicities of empire and the libidinal economy in Makoto Shinkai’s The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Science Fiction Film & Television, 7(3), 387-407.
- Bingham, Adam. Distant voices, still lives: Love, loss, and longing in the work of Makoto Shinkai. Asian Cinema, 20(2), 217-225.
- Walker, Gavin. The filmic time of coloniality: On Shinkai Makoto’s The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Mechademia: An Annual Forum for Anime, Manga, and the Fan Arts, 4, 3-18.
*** OPEN ACCESS ***
- Kuge, Shu. In the world that is infinitely inclusive: Four theses on Voices of a Distant Star and The Wings of Honneamise. Mechademia: An Annual Forum for Anime, Manga, and the Fan Arts, 2, 251-266.